Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Petite Nora

So after I put Nora on the cat scale, I got worried about her weight and took her to the doctor. They weighed her and at 11 lbs 14 oz, she's fallen completely off the growth charts and her doctor referred us to a GI specialist. The doctor also suggested introducing meats and upping her solids to three meals a day. The nurse at the GI clinic was singing a somewhat different tune, telling me that they'll probably put her on a special high-calorie formula.

I think Nora and Milo must have both sensed our increased worry about their eating today, as neither baby has been interested in nursing or in taking a bottle. They both ate about half what they were supposed to during their afternoon feeding. An hour or so later, we gave them some solids, though, and Nora ate it right up. I had poached some chicken for the babies but hadn't gotten around to grinding it up in the blender, so I mixed some cereal with the broth and Nora absolutely loved it. She hates drinking, whether it be by breast or bottle, but she seems to love eating.

Of course we're super worried about Nora. But one consoling fact is that at 6.5 months, I only weighed 12 lbs 5 oz, and I grew up to be more or less normal. So hopefully she'll be okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you tried avocado w/ them yet? My kids STILL eat that stuff up most of the time. The texture is soft enough that you can just mash it up w/ a fork... if they don't go for it mash a banana in there to make it sweeter.. a nice ripe one. High calorie, high fat and totally natural... not some weird high calorie formula and a lot healthier than pumping them full of meat and dairy! ;) Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.....